Social Media has transformed the world in more ways than one. There have been changes in the mindset of people on issues that range far and wide. Various industries have also been affected due to this rise in the number of users on these social media platforms. Instagram has been one such medium that has caused a change in the life of 400 million people! Yes, you read that right: that is precisely the number of active members on Instagram who use this application on their smartphones. Almost 50 percent of the users are under the age of 25, which establishes the growing popularity of Instagram amongst the young generation. Instagram has gone through some changes since its inception, with the core structure remaining the same. Some tweaks have been developed which has only upped the user experience and made people more glued on to this fantastic application.
Now let us take a look at how Instagram is really changing the world and if so, in which sectors and in what respect:
- Travel: We are travelling across the world while viewing the photographs posted by our friends on this platform. We get to see so many exotic locations that literally bring the whole world in our 5 inch screens! Instagram photographers are getting popular with every passing day and their photographs are being purchased and used for marketing purposes by various agencies which are out there to promote travelling. Instagram is opening its horizon to places like Iran which is a place not accessed that much. For travel brands, Instagram is now a medium to understand the places where people are showing more interest in visiting. That would give them the perfect window to promote their tours and programs.
- Food: #foodporn: The world would never have known that these two words could go hand in hand if there were no Instagram. You go to a popular restaurant in your city and taste the most popular dish out there. It is almost impossible that you would not take a few snaps of the delicacies that had been spread and showcase it to your followers via Instagram. Food photography has come to the scene in a very large way where photographers are experimenting with this genre with the help of Instagram. It has become a very powerful media for food bloggers across the world with Instagram Food Meets being organised in major cities around the world. A con of this practice is that people nowadays are more focused on getting the perfect shot on the dining table rather than focusing on the spread in front.
- Fashion: Designers and fashion brands are also not left far behind in using this social media platform to promote their new range of designer wear. The Instagrammers get a sneak peek into the range of upcoming products that are set to get launched soon. The trends that get set here become a reality. Models also get a platform to make their dreams into reality. Designers also get to know what their customers are willing to try out and customer reviews on their latest products can be easily accessed. The buyer-seller connect has now become quite easy thanks to platforms like Instagram.
- Art: Not only are the changes restricted to the fashion world, the art forum is also seeing a sea change in the way people perceive artists. In many ways, art and fashion go hand in hand and becomes difficult to isolate one from the other. Artists also get to post their videos on how to go about doing a particular project and their thought process behind the kind of work that they do. The audience also gets a taste of the intricacies of the work behind the beautiful paintings, photographs and sculptures that they see in an exhibition.
- Fame: This is one aspect which is getting more people to join this band wagon. It is a place where if your talent gets recognized, your followers list would keep rising at a rapid rate. It serves as a motivation for an artist to keep trying out innovative techniques to create something new. Photographers are also getting hired if their photographs are getting viral and are getting appreciated.