Created by Kevin Systrom and Mike Kreiger, Instagram is a photo sharing app. Well it’s not a just app for the professional photographer, it is a platform to share from a picture or may be a number of pictures that you want to share with the world. The pictures have a story to tell. This app also has pictures of stores who promote their brand through Instagram, pictures of fashion icons…..and the list is never ending.
Facebook was created by Mark Elliot Zuckerberg along with his fellow Harvard student on 4th February 2004. Since then Facebook has been a huge platform for interactions, socializing, marketing, brand promotions and fan base of celebrities. Facebook attracts 1.4 million users every year.
Well both Instagram and Facebook are under the common Owner Facebook since April 9th 2012. On that date Instagram was acquired by Facebook at a net worth of $1 billion of cash and stock. Even after this we cannot consider both the apps as a single entity. Each of these apps has separate market for promotions of brands and their products.
Facebook and Instagram have their respective markets with respect to age group, customer’s profile and the product details. Undoubtedly Facebook has more than four times the users logged in on a daily basis as compared to Instagram. But Instagram posts are a visual treat for the users, only the picture-oriented posts seem clutter free. They are similar in many aspects as they have the same list of contacts, apart from the people following you now and then. Facebook is a place where even the smallest of a business owner opens a page which may not be logged in ever again .Facebook has become the place of sharing information where people mandatorily feed their information.
Well let’s discuss how these platforms differ from each other as a marketing tool based on various aspects.
- Young users – Instagram is mainly used by the people of age below 30 whereas Facebook doesn’t attract comparable of amount of young population. This will surely affect the market of products encircling the young people. Well if the young people don’t use Facebook than who does? Well the answer is older ones do. And here comes the benefit of advertising in Instagram over advertising in Facebook. The older people are generally wealthier with a higher bank balance than the younger population. And thus Facebook could act as a great advertising platform for your brand if it is an investment firm.
- Engagement- We know it clearly that Facebook engages more number of people than Instagram does. But when we speak about posts, Instagram generally wins the battle. What Instagram does is the demonstration of the issue with pictures and a catchy caption is. And people generally get attentive about pictorial content than textual ones. But if a client wants to contact the owner or the advertising head of Facebook or Instagram, Facebook goes way ahead Instagram due to its compatible functionality.
- Host a giveaway – A giveaway is generally associated with a contest where people need to share and tag a picture of the brand product and just wait to get lucky to get a hamper.
- Pay an influencer – What does an influencer do? He posts catchy stuff on your product details and advertises your product over the Instagram account and facebook account by adding the link of the product site. Adding direct links to the posts on Instagram is not yet an option.
- Platform Strength – Instagram has a small user base and options as compared to Facebook. In Facebook the advertising agent can create groups, invite people for events, and post lengthy videos beating the 1 minute videos allowed on Instagram. But Instagram is hassle-free and the small customer base which is loyal. The user sticks to Instagram and doesn’t get distracted as on facebook because of the several options it offers.
Both Instagram and Facebook are great way to reach out to the desired group of customers. The main mantra of marketing is the research before it, to know the place and people for whom the products are being made and to concentrate on the marketing techniques that will be suitable for the target audience.