Twitter allows users to share news, information, opinions, jokes and any other thing in as short as 140 characters. The posts are known as tweets and can also contain videos, photos and links. For any business, Twitters makes a very good platform compared to other social networks probably because it is well open. It has most user profile public making it possible for your organization to reach even people who might not know anything about the existence of your business. It is indeed a platform that comes with a number of benefits, but there are also some risks and it is important to be aware of both when you are inclined on using it for the growth of your business.
Twitter benefits to business
- It helps raise your business profile. Using the platform you can be proactive in finding and also expanding audiences that you target as a business. It is among the features that make this social network very powerful and when using it you can be sure that even existing customers will have an easier time interacting with you. Using the search tool on Twitter you will be able to find people with similar interests and reach out to them.
- Twitter helps interact with fans, customers and clients that are like-minded. The public state of most profiles on Twitter offers no limits as far as introducing yourself to people or organizations that are like-minded. A compellin g message may be all you need to start valuable engagements.
- It is a reliable information source. By following the right people, you can get all kinds of news relevant to your business field. You have the ability to tailor your tweets so they can meet the exact needs you have for the business.
- It helps drive traffic to business, website or even blog. Using Twitter, you can share latest blog posts, promote and event that you have planned or even encourage people to sign up for e-newsletters. With all these possibilities, it becomes very easy for you to inform them about new products or services. The only thing you would need to do is ensure that the promotional messages do not end up making up most of the tweets that you post otherwise you will end up becoming boring.
Possible Twitter risks to business
- There is risk of brand reputation damage. Tweets that are not targeted can end up doing more harm than good for your business. The message may also be muddled if you blindly start using the platform. Simple mistakes can have huge negative impacts that would be very tedious to rectify. An idea that may look perfect for tweeting may not always end up yielding the results that you expected and you therefore may end up doing more damage control than marketing your brand.
- It is easy to lose time. This is because Twitter can be pretty demanding when it comes to effort and time to enjoy the results that you are chasing after. As a business, you may end up needing to have a dedicated team or person to handle the social channel and others if at all you are to be able to maintain consistency. It can be tedious to handle, especially when you only have a small team with lots of work and hence less time to spare for keeping your business profile up to date.
- It exposes you to criticism and attacks. In as much as Twitter can help elevate your business, not everything you get will be positive. More often people will have issues with messages that you post and could end up attacking your company or criticizing you. It is wise that you prepare for such occurrences and coming up with a way of handling the negative comments. It is also important to keep off controversial posts unless you do not mind the criticism and you are ready for the challenge.
Organizations have so much to gain when using Twitter professionally and with every move calculated. With the right approach and strategies, you have no limits as to how high you can take your business brand and meet your objectives of gaining a strong clientele.